Itching, dryness or a feeling of tightness – more than one man out of every four has a sensitive scalp. This is not only unpleasant, it can also lead to annoying dandruff. Find out what causes a dry scalp and how to prevent it here.
How do I recognise a dry scalp?
The balance of the moisture barrier of the scalp is very delicate. Disturbing this balance can lead to a dry scalp; the skin becomes tight, itchy and inflamed. Due to the loss of moisture, besides itching, redness or tight skin, dry dandruff can also develop. The dandruff flakes are small and white, and they fall off the head and out of the hair.
Causes of a dry scalp
A healthy scalp is surrounded by an intact lipid film. This regulates the moisture and protects the scalp. If this lipid film is impaired, the skin loses moisture and dries out. One possible cause is under-production of the sebaceous glands, which can disrupt the scalp’s natural balance. A dry, sensitive scalp is no longer able to perform its protective function. This results in itchy, flaking skin.
What factors cause a dry scalp?
- A genetic predisposition determines whether there is a tendency for dry skin.
- The temperature has an effect on the moisture balance of the scalp (e.g. very cold or very hot air).
- Age is also a possible factor; for example, older people tend towards drier skin than younger people.
- Stress is also a possible cause of dry skin.
How to prevent a dry scalp
- In order to avoid a dry scalp and dry dandruff, you need to eliminate the cause.
- Choosing the right shampoo is also important:
|The right shampoo:||Particularly mild shampoos support the regeneration of the scalp and reduce the uncomfortable symptoms.|
|The wrong shampoo:||Anti-dandruff shampoos that control oiliness are too aggressive for a dry scalp and dry it out even more. This often aggravates the condition. If you suffer from a dry scalp, you should also not wash your hair every day, because this disrupts the lipid film even more, ultimately contributing to a dry scalp.|
Not all dandruff is the same
There are two types: dry dandruff and oily dandruff:
To find out more about Oily dandruff click here.
The right care for dry scalp
With its hybrid technology, the Hybrid Caffeine Shampoo from Alpecin is both powerful and mild at the same time. Due to the mild formula, it is particularly suited to a dry, sensitive or itchy scalp. Hair growth is also stimulated by highly concentrated caffeine. That means moisture for the scalp and fuel for the hair roots, all in one.
- Moisturising effect: The mild, gentle shampoo formula has a moisturising effect on a dry, sensitive scalp. It soothes the scalp. It prevents itching of the scalp.
- Fuel effect: “Fuel” in form of caffeine recharges the hair. It promotes powerful and strong hair.